Hey people:) I have another dessert recipe today because I have a sweet tooth that cannot be satisfied! Since cookies are the creme de la creme of Christmas baking, I had to put my spin on the classic sugar cookie. These Festive Jam Cookies are crumbly and delicate and filled with a delicious homemade jam. Store bought works too, but making your own eliminates all of the refined sugar. They look beautiful on a holiday dessert platter, are gluten free and vegan! Hope you enjoy these mouth watering treats;))
Festive Jam Cookies
Serves: Makes about 12 Sandwich Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tbs water (plus more if needed)
For the Jam
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp oat flour
- Stir together the oat flour and spices in a large bowl. Add in the coconut oil and maple syrup and combine until a crumbly mixture forms. Add in the water and use your hands to form a dough.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a clean surface, roll out the cookie dough. Use a doughnut-shaped cutter to cut out individual cookies and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. If at any time the dough becomes too dry to roll out, and a tablespoon of water and knead it into the dough.
- Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, until they’re slightly browned on the bottom. Let cool completely before filling with jam.
- While the cookies are baking and cooling, combine the frozen berries and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 6 minutes, until most of the water has cooked off and the berries are thawed. Use a potato masher to mash the berries, leaving about half of them whole. Stir in the oat flour and continue to simmer for another few minutes until the Jam has thickened. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Once the Jam and cookies are both cool, start assembling. Scoop the Jam onto the bottom flat side of a cookie. Gently press another cookie on top to form a sandwich, making sure that the top of the cookie is facing up. Repeat this process until the rest of the cookies have been filled.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy!!
See you guys Wednesday! In the meantime I’ll be munching on a bunch of Christmas treats…