Hey there! Hope you’re all doing well;)) I find that cooking is a great way to stay busy, so I’ve been trying to at least plan out new recipes every day. I wanted to make stuffed peppers, because they’re so comforting and delicious. But it turns out that I only had one big pepper, and two mini ones. Here’s where some quarantine problem solving comes in! This Stuffed Pepper Stew combines all of the flavours of a stuffed pepper, but in stew form. It’s so good and uses super simple ingredients! It actually might be better than a stuffed pepper, because it reminds me of an amazing Hungarian pepper dish that my Mom and Grandma make. Plus, there’s lots of protein in there from lentils. I also used some soy sauce to boost the savoury flavour, which is a trick I learned from The Stingy Vegan. All the veggies get simmered in a delicious broth that’s loaded with herbs and spices, and it’ll make your house smell really good;)) This stew is also one of those things that tastes better the next day, because all of the flavours sit together overnight. Check out the recipe down below;))
Stuffed Pepper Stew
Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, any colour, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 sprig of oregano, finely chopped (or 1/2 tbsp dried oregano)
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the peppers and garlic, and cook for another six minutes until the peppers are soft.
- Dump the diced tomatoes, spices, soy sauce, herbs, and lentils into the pot and stir until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer for about an hour, until the lentils have cooked through.
- Once the lentils are cooked, stir through the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with rice, quinoa, some bread, or by itself!
Keep cooking and creating!