Hey there! Soup is one of the best parts of winter- after spending an afternoon sledding or making snowmen, coming inside to a warm bowl of deliciousness is heaven! This Golden Lentil and Coconut soup is full of onion, garlic, coconut milk and ginger, packing it full of flavour and richness. Turmeric lends it’s signature golden colour, and carrots and sweet potatoes offer a slight bit of sweetness to round out the savoury notes. Only 45 minutes are needed to whip up this divine soup. And those 45 minutes are DEFINITELY worth it! Enjoy;)
Golden Lentil and Coconut Soup
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic into the pot and cook for 2 more minutes. Next, measure out the ginger, coriander and red pepper flakes, then dump them into the pot as well, cooking for another minute until fragrant.
- Pour the veggie stock and coconut milk into the pot and stir well. Add in the carrots, lentils, sweet potato and turmeric and mix until combined. Bring soup to a boil then let simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft.
- Serve with some sprouted grain bread and enjoy!!
I actually think that I’m in love with this soup…. it’s so rich and satisfying, yet fresh tasting because of the ginger and aromatics. Make sure to check my blog again on Friday for another post!