Hello guys! I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love French onion soup! I used to order it at every restaurant and even got to try some in Paris;) It’s one of my favourite soups to eat in the winter since it’s so rich. Over the weekend I developed a delicious recipe for it that’s Vegan and uses healthy ingredients. It tastes AMAZING and is really easy to make. You just need to make sure that the onions get super caramelized to lend a good depth of flavour. Here’s the recipe!
French Onion Soup
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the sliced onions and cook until soft, brown and caramelized. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Once the onions are cooked, add in the water, garlic, thyme, rosemary and soy sauce. Cook together for 2 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot, and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Scoop into bowls and enjoy with sprouted grain bread for dipping!
I’m going to make this soup again when it starts to snow… it’s the perfect thing to curl up by the fire with! Have a great week everyone;)
One thought on “French Onion Soup”
This soup is delicious even without all the butter traditional recipes call for:)