Hey peoples! As you may have noticed, I created an instagram account last week, and I’m loving it because it’s very picture-focused. There’s also a great community of healthy-eaters on there, which means there are tons of awesome recipes for me to discover! Anyways, you can follow me on instagram at mydayisbooked_24. I post bullet journal spreads and mini-recipes that you won’t find on my blog.
Back to the topic of today’s post: Spicy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup! This is a creamy, Thai-inspired soup that is easy to make and full of flavour. The sweetness of the carrot and sweet potatoes pairs with all of the spices in it. The way that I made it was pretty spicy, but you can add more or less spice, according to your taste. You’ll also need a blender to make the soup smooth, but you don’t need a fancy one. I used a twenty dollar one, and it worked just fine. Plus, you can totally freeze this in a ziploc and reheat it for a quick meal. Here’s the recipe!
Spicy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Total Time: 75 minutes
- 3 large carrots cut into small pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 tbs dried Basil
- 1/2 tbs dried Oregano
- 1/2 tbs Cumin
- 1/2 tbs Curry Powder
- 1/2 tbs Chile Powder
- 1 tsp cayenne (or more or less to taste)
- 4 cups organic chicken or veggie broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Lime wedges and roasted chickpeas (for optional garnish)
- Cook the onions over medium heat with the oil in a large pot. Once they are translucent (5-7 minutes) add in the minced garlic and all of the spices and cook for about two more minutes.
- Next, add the broth, carrots and sweet potatoes into the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft, about 40 minutes or so.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, remove the pot from the heat and let the soup cool down a little bit. Then, using a ladle, scoop the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. You probably won’t be able to blend all of the soup at once, so transferring the smooth soup into a different pot than the unblended soup might be a good idea, so that you don’t miss any chunks of veggies.
- When the soup is smooth, mix in the coconut milk, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and roasted chickpeas;)
How simple is that? I hope you enjoy making and eating this recipe! See you next week;)
Yours Truly, MyDayIsBooked
One thought on “Spicy Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup”