Whew! I can’t believe that it’s already the last week of herb month already! I have to say, I’m probably the most excited for basil week, mainly because of this pasta recipe. It’s creamy, flavourful and just super delicious. The sauce is a great alternative to the usual marinara, and healthier than Alfredo. I used my favourite chickpea pasta, but you can use any variety that you’d like. Here’s some tips on growing basil before I give you the recipe;)
Basil plants like lots of sun, so make sure that they get 6-8 hours of sunlight a day. Keep the soil that they are planted in moist. When the basil plant has produced fairly big leaves, you can pick them off and leave the smaller ones to grow. I pick leaves as I need them, but if you want to store your basil the best method is freezing. Let’s get into the first recipe of Basil Week: Roasted Red Pepper Pasta!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut the red peppers into square pieces and toss them with the extra olive oil, some salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until soft and slightly charred.
- While the peppers are roasting, cook 2 servings of pasta according to the package directions.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted peppers, 2 tbs olive oil, garlic, basil, and a bit more salt and pepper. Blend until a smooth sauce forms. Taste and season accordingly.
- Drain the pasta and add the sauce to the pot, coating the noodles.
- Scoop into two bowls and top with chopped basil. Enjoy!
Mmmmmm! Does it get any better than that? Enjoy this recipe, and don’t forget to check in on Wednesday for another great basil post;)