Bad news!! MY BASIL PLANT IS DEAD! I went to check it this morning and it only had about 10 shrivelled leaves on it. All of my other herbs are growing like crazy, and I don’t think that it got enough sun. I salvaged as much as I can, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to make a full on basil pesto like I’d planned. So, I used some kale and arugula instead! The colour, texture and flavour of this pesto is still amazing though. I can’t wait to eat it on pasta, fish, veggies, and in wraps! I used sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts or almonds, because they’re cheaper and still have a really good taste. Other than that, the ingredients you’ll need are super simple; lemon, garlic, olive oil, kale, arugula, and of course, a little bit of basil. Here’s the recipe!
Kale and Arugula Pesto
Serves: 4 (this recipe makes about 1 cup of pesto)
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 3 cups kale and arugula mix, packed
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds, hulled
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 6 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, blend the basil, kale and arugula, lemon, garlic, and sunflower seeds until combined but chunky.
- With the blender on low speed, stream in the olive oil. Continue to blend until you’ve reached a fairly smooth texture.
- Enjoy with pasta, fish, veggies, salads and wraps!
And with that, Herb month has come to an end! I’ve enjoyed coming up with new recipes for all of the different herbs that I’ve grown, and love having my own little garden! Hopefully my other plants don’t die off😬😬. Thanks for reading my posts throughout the month;) I cant wait for summer- I have some awesome ideas! See you then☺️😊
PS. I’m planning to show you guys my July Bullet Journal today as well, so keep your eyes peeled!