Hello! I saw the idea for using hummus as a pasta sauce on Instagram, and it legit changed my life. In this recipe, the hummus is added in with fried onions, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes, then diluted with a little bit of water to give the sauce a creamy texture. The beauty is that you can use any kind of hummus that you want, and if you pick some up from the store, you can have a quick and easy dinner. However, I did include a hummus recipe in this post, which only takes about 10 minutes to make. You can also switch around the kind of pasta that you want to use- I used spaghetti made from lentil flour, but any kind works. I hope that you enjoy this delicious dish!
Creamy Mushroom and Hummus Pasta
Total Time: 20 minutes
For the Hummus (makes more than what you’ll need for the pasta):
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 of an onion, sliced into thin strips
- 5 cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (I used portobello)
- 1 serving cooked pasta, about 85g
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all of the hummus ingredients, except for the olive oil, in a blender. Once the chickpeas have started break down, stream in the olive oil and continue to blend until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and onions, and cook for about 6 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the tomatoes into the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, the hummus and water get dumped into the pan. Stir to combine the two ingredients.
- Add in the cooked pasta and coat it and the vegetables with the hummus and water mixture. The sauce should be creamy, so if it’s too thick add more water, and if it’s too thin add more hummus.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mmmmm! I’d love to try this recipe with a roasted red pepper or lemon and herb hummus. This simple garlicky one pairs wonderfully with the mushrooms though;) Have fun making and getting creative with this pasta!