Hey there! I have a really neat recipe for you guys today. This Sweet Potato Gnocchi is super simple, yet super delicious! There are only two ingredients: Sweet Potatoes and Whole Wheat Flour, so these gnocchis are healthy as well. They’re great with tomato sauce, pesto, or even just some basil and olive oil. I hope you enjoy!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Serves: 2-3 as a main, 4-6 as a side
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces, about a centimetre wide. Steam them for about 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- Dump the potatoes into a bowl and mash them using a potato masher. Make sure that there aren’t any big clumps of sweet potato left.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes onto a clean countertop. Add a 1/2 cup of flour, and use your hands to mix it into the potatoes. Continue to add the flour in 1/2 cup increments, until a dough forms. It shouldn’t be very sticky, but you should also be able to easily knead it. Knead the dough a few times to make sure that the flour is mixed in well.
- Once the dough is ready, grab a handful and roll it into a long cylinder, about 1 1 /2 centimetres thick. Starting at the end, cut the “rope” of dough into pieces that are 1 1/2 centimetres wide. You can then take a fork and press down lightly on each gnocchi, leaving an imprint. Continue to do this with the rest of the dough. You should end up with dumplings that look something like this:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and dump the gnocchis into the pot. Cook them for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain the pasta. Serve with your favourite sauce.
I’ll see you guys later this week!