Hi guys! Now that fall has started I find myself craving warm, hearty dishes and hot tea, both to be enjoyed while reading of course! The recipe that I’m posting today is the epitome of comfort food; Shepherd’s Pie. I lightened it up a bit by not using any meat, and I also used sweet potatoes because I’m just obsessed with them! This dish definitely isn’t one that comes together in 20 minutes, but it doesn’t take hours to cook either, so it’s good for rainy days when all you feel like doing is staying home and eating good food. Hope you like it!
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Total Time: 75 minutes
- 2 tbs + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 a white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup from corn
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbs paprika
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot, and celery and cook until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the chilli flakes, 1 tsp of ground thyme, basil and paprika and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Put the peas, corn, tomato paste, and water into the pot and stir. Let the mixture cook until the veggies are soft and most of the water has boiled off, creating a stew like texture. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
- Dump the vegetable mixture into a small loaf pan. Steam the cut up sweet potatoes for about 10-15 minutes, or until soft. Mash them in a bowl with the 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of ground thyme and 1 tsp of rosemary.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Spread the mashed potatoes in an even layer on top of the veggie mixture. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are slightly browned. Remove and enjoy!
This pie also makes great leftovers. Guess what I’m eating for lunch tomorrow? I can’t wait!
One thought on “Vegan Shepherd’s Pie”
Great post 😄