Hey guys! Hope you had a great weekend:) I’m still going strong with these cozy fall/winter recipes, and today I’ve got this Vegetable Stew with mashed Sweet Potatoes. It’s completely vegan but is packed with SO much richness and delicious flavour. Plus, who can say no to sweet potatoes?
I started this stew by cooking the onions until they were nice and caramelized, so that all of that browned up goodness makes its way into the stew. Lots of garlic made its way into the pot as well because garlic just makes everything better. I also used a kind of unconventional strategy to get more flavour and richness in there- I used a whole can of black beans, liquid and all. No joke! This thickens everything up and just gives it that nice savoury-ness that you want in a good stew. However, this means that you should definitely use a can of organic black beans, or make sure that the only ingredients are beans, water, and some salt. You don’t want any of those nasty preservatives if you’re not rinsing the beans off.
The next things that I through into the stew were chopped carrots, frozen corn and peas, some tomato paste, and some flavour boosters like soy sauce, maple syrup, and oregano. Super simple, no long or complicated prep involved. Frozen veggies are my jam; I could literally eat corn all day long. If you have a bag of mixed frozen veggies, feel free to throw some of those in there to avoid chopping carrots and cut down on prep time even more.
I don’t mash sweet potatoes often, but I really should! It’s faster than roasting and they’re pretty darn good:) I just boiled em, mashed em, and seasoned em with some salt and pepper. They make the perfect carby accompaniment to this amazing stew!
What are you waiting for? Throw on some fuzzy socks, get a fire going, and whip up a plate of this homey deliciousness!
Vegetable Stew with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Total Time: 40 minutes
For the Stew:
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 a large white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 can of organic black beans, liquid (aqua faba) included **make sure it only contains beans, water and salt**
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- 1 medium or large sized sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the sliced onions, and cook until browned and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Make sure that you stir them often to prevent burning.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for another two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the can of beans, carrots, frozen veggies, tomato paste, soy sauce, maple syrup and dried oregano to the pot and mix until combined. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and let simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
- While the stew is cooking, bring a smaller pot of water to a boil. Add in the chopped sweet potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes, until tender and mashable. Drain them, add them to a bowl, and then mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the stew is ready, season it to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat. Serve with the mashed sweet potatoes.
Hope you enjoy this comforting cold-weather recipe! Make sure you come back for more because there’s lots more where this came from:)