Hi friends! It seems that there’s a theme running through my recipes this week, and that theme is SIMPLE DELICIOUSNESS. Maybe you don’t think of curry being that simple. But guess what, this one is. We’re making good use of the stuff you’re already got in your spice cupboard and pantry and we’re making it into something super tasty.
I wanted to make some sort of curry paste for this, but I didn’t have many of the traditional curry paste ingredients. So I made my own take on a curry paste, using common ingredients that I DID have. We’re talking chilli powder, ground ginger, soy sauce, basil, curry powder, lemon juice, and a bunch of other good stuff. I like the concept of this paste because if you don’t want to make curry out of it right away, you can put it in the fridge for a few days until you’re ready to use it.
It’s also great because it acts as your flavour bomb for the whole curry! All of the spices and flavour you need for the whole dish is found in it, making for a super easy single application of amazingness.
All of the veggies in this dish really sing too. I love a good rainbow in my curries, and almost any veggie would work in here, so feel free to do some substituting with what you have and what you like. I personally found my own heavenly combo of mushrooms, onions, bok choy, red peppers, and carrots to be very nice.
The vegetables get cooked down together in some coconut oil, then sauteed a bit more when the curry paste is added, and then everything simmers together in some coconut milk. To make this heartier and more of a one-pot meal, I thought, why not add in some rice? So brown rice gets thrown in too and cooked in all of the delicious flavours.
Once this curry is done, your house will definitely smell really good and you’ll have a few meals worth of awesome curry rice stocked up in your fridge. I love how flavourful this is, and how it has just the perfect amount of spice! Plus, it goes great with any protein you choose to add, and is so hearty and comforting.
Hope you enjoy!
Coconut Curried Vegetable Rice
Total Time: 70 minutes
For the Curry Paste:
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a white onion, diced
For the Coconut Curried Vegetable Rice:
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 of a white onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 stalks of baby bok choy, cut into halves
- 1 serving of Curry Paste (above)
- 1 400ml can of coconut milk
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the Curry Paste, combine all of the curry paste ingredients in a blender or food processor until a paste-like consistency is reached. Don’t worry about small chunks of onion; these will be cooked in with the curry. Use immediately to make Coconut Curried Vegetable Rice or store in the fridge for up to 3 days before using.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, deep skillet. Add in all of the veggies for the curry and cook until the onion is translucent and the peppers are beginning to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the curry paste to the pan and sautee for another 2 minutes.
- Dump the coconut milk into the pan and give everything a good stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper, and stir in the brown rice.
- Bring the contents of the pan to a simmer and turn the heat to low, covering the pan and letting the curry cook for 35-40 minutes, until the rice is completely cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat season more to taste with salt and pepper, serve warm and enjoy!
I love this recipe so much and I hope you guys do too! See you Friday:))