Hey there! I’m kind of starting to settle into a rhythm of schoolwork and just hanging out, which usually means that I make some toast or a yogurt bowl for breakfast. But sometimes I’m in the mood for something more fun, which calls for some French Toast! French Toast is so tasty and super simple, and to make it even better I added some lemon to mine. This version is vegan, but if you don’t have any plant milk on hand feel free to just use regular milk. Anyways, what’s really special about this breakfast is the carameliaztion that happens because of the bananas in the batter. Do you call it a batter? I guess it’s more of a dredge or a dip….. I just looked it up- it’s a custard. Yeah, the bananas in the custard give it some nice sugar that’s just DYING to get all brown and crisp. And the lemon just gives it some interest and zing. Some blueberries and maple syrup would be perfect with this French Toast. Give it a try and break up your monotonous breakfast cycle!
Lemon French Toast
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 slices of sprouted grain bread (or any kind of bread you like)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mash the banana in a medium sized bowl. Mix in the almond milk, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Heat a small pan over medium-low heat. Soak both sides of a piece of bread in the almond milk mixture, making sure that it’s fully coated, but don’t soak it for so long that the middle becomes mushy.
- Cook the bread in the pan until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes, and then flip, doing the same on the other side. Check the French Toast every so often to make sure that it doesn’t burn.
- Soak and cook the remaining slices of bread, then serve warm with more lemon zest, berries, and maple syrup:)