I’m going to be making lots of soups this coming season because they’re so cozy and warming🥰 But guess what, WE NEED A FREAKING AWESOME BROTH FIRST! Prior to this I’ve never made homemade broth and I was shocked at how easy it is and how good it turns out😋
You could go to the store and buy some broth from there, but this homemade one is so darn good, and you can make as much as you want of it. And unless you’re buying organic broth (which I’m going to guess is pretty dang expensive), there can be all sorts of unwanted ingredients in there. If you’re wanting a broth that is all natural and super flavourful, make your own. Using this recipe, preferably😂
Broth is one of the simplest things you can make, so I’m not sure why most people don’t. Basically you just roughly chop a bunch of veg, then simmer it all in some water for a couple of hours, and you’re good. No fancy techniques or whatever. I made a nice veggie soup with this after👌 You could also use it in curries, casseroles, stews, quinoa dishes, or whatever you need broth for!
Hope you enjoy this simple and easy recipe that’s so versatile and delish!
Homemade Veggie Broth
Serves: Makes about 14 cups of broth
Total Time: 180 minutes (3 hours)
- 14 cups of water
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped into wedges with the skins removed
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped into large pieces
- 1 small portobello mushroom, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water to boil in a large pot. Add in all of the veggies, then lower the heat and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the veggies in the water for about two and a half hours, until the stock is a nice golden colour and has great veggie flavour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat. Pour the stock through a fine strainer into a large bowl to remove the veggies and any smaller veggie pieces.
- Now your stock is ready for use! Place back in the pot and immediately make soup, or use in any other dish that calls for stock. This can also be frozen or kept in the fridge.
Can’t wait to see what awesome recipes you guys use this broth in! Have a great week:)