I love my eggs! I usually have a couple for either breakfast or lunch to get in that protein and all those amazing omega-3s. My preferred egg cooking methods are scrambling and boiling- but that can be a problem during busy mornings. And so I present you with these amazing Baked Egg Cups!
They’re cute little bites of breakfast goodness, and are super easy to take to-go! Just grab a couple of these on your way out the door along with some toast, and you’ve got a balanced and filling breakfasts. These would also be great in a bowl or salad, or wrap for meal prep! And of course, when you want a high protein snack, these egg cups have got your back.
Ok, so it’s the weekend and you are MEAL PREPPING because that’s how you roll. And while you’re whipping up a bunch of delicious food, why not throw these egg cups into the mix? Start by sauteeing some diced onion and black beans in a little olive oil, until those onions get soft and a little brown. Next you’re going to remove that from the heat and mix in some diced tomatoes, and scoop a little bit of this veggie mixture into each cup of some mini muffin tins! So cute:)) Fill the tins with some perfectly seasoned whisked egg and throw them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, and you’ve got yourself breakfast and snacks for the whole week!
These Baked Egg Cups are so tasty- those onions and tomatoes give a lot of flavour. Plus, those black beans add a bit more heartiness and some additional protein! Dipping these in salsa or making a breakfast burrito out of them would be so good!
You can store them in the fridge if you’re going to eat them all throughout the week, but you can also throw them in a Ziploc bag and freeze them for whenever you need! Just throw them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before devouring.
Hopefully these lil egg cups help you with your breakfast meal prepping! Enjoy:)
Baked Egg Cups
-1 tsp olive oil
-1/4 of a white onion, diced
-1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
-1/2 a tomato, diced
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Cooking spray or a bit more olive oil to grease the muffin tins.
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add in the onions and black beans, and cook until the onions are translucent and slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the diced tomatoes. Spray two mini muffin tins lightly with the cooking spray, or grease each tin with some olive oil.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Scoop about a 1/2 tbsp of the bean, onion and tomato mixture into each mini muffin cup. Cover the mixture with the beaten eggs, filling the mini muffin cups almost to the top.
6. Place the muffin tins in the oven and bake the egg cups for about 10-12 minutes, until they appear solid.
7. Remove from the oven, and let cool completely before eating or freezing.