Hey there! I always love salad rolls when I visit Vietnamese restaurants, and so I thought that I’d make some of my own. These Salad rolls include lots of veggies, plus almonds and mushrooms cooked in a soy honey glaze. Rolling the rice paper is surprisingly not that hard, once you get the hang of it. I used square sheets of rice paper that were given to me, but round sheets also work. You can find sheets of rice paper in most grocery stores. These rolls make great snacks, appetizers, or light lunches. Enjoy!
Almond and Mushroom Salad Rolls
Serves: Makes 5 rolls
Total Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 small mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 an avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 a red pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 rice paper sheets, square or round
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and almonds, and cook for two minutes. Then add the soy sauce and honey, cooking for another minute until most of the liquid has cooked off. Set the mixture aside.
- Take a large plate and fill it with a shallow layer of water. Place a sheet of rice paper in the water and press down on it to submerge it. Let it soak for about one minute, then flip it over, making sure the whole sheet is still submerged, and soak for another thirty seconds, massaging the water into the paper a bit until it’s translucent and pliable.
- Grab the sheet of rice paper and transfer it to a dry plate or cutting board. Place a pinch of lettuce in the middle of the sheet in a log shape, with the ends about an inch away from the side edges. Spread a tablespoon of the almond and mushroom mixture on top of the lettuce, followed by some shredded carrots, cucumber, pepper and avocado.
- Fold the inside edges of the rice paper sheet in towards the middle of the roll. Fold the edge closest to you over top of the ingredients in the centre, and continue to roll up the paper until a salad roll forms.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until 5 salad rolls are complete, then enjoy!
Hope you like these unique salad rolls! See you Wednesday!